In recent years, there have been rapid developments in the types of products available to provide hearing protection. Not only has the design of hearing protection devices evolved, but the technology and materials used in their construction have advanced as well.
Earmuffs are a common type of personal protective equipment that are used to protect the wearer’s ears from excessive noise, dust or temperature variations, especially in cold weather conditions. Earmuffs often consist of a thermoplastic outer shell and sponge inner and are shaped like a pair of cups. These cups are usually attached to the outer ends of a steel or plastic headband to fit over the top or back of the head and cover the ears tightly.
Advantages of Safety Earmuffs:
- More protection at higher frequencies than earplugs
- Designed to fit most people
- Less time and effort required to wear
- Easy to supervise and monitor
- Not easily misplaced or lost
- Various noise reduction ratings available
- Can be worn with minor ear infections
- Re-useable, durable and longer lasting than earplugs
Top 3 Types of Safety Earmuffs
Over-the-head Earmuffs - Over-the-head earmuffs are the most common type and are worn when hard hats and face shields are not required.
Hard Hat-Mounted Earmuffs - Hard hat-mounted earmuffs attach to slots or adapters on a compatible hard hat. This type of earmuffs makes it easier for workers to wear hearing protection where they also need to wear a hardhat.
Neckband Earmuffs – neckband earmuffs are often worn with head protection, respiratory equipment, and face shields where a headband can get in the way. They go around the back of the neck, rather than over the head.
Most Popular Safety Earmuffs from 3M
- 3M Peltor MT13H223A ProTac Shooter Headset, Green, Headband Class 5 SLC80 32dB - The ProTac shooter hearing protector helps protect against hazardous and nuisance noise, while allowing environmental sounds to be reproduced by the electronic circuit, limited to 82dB. ProTac Shooter helps protect hearing from impulse noise and increases the ability to communicate with nearby colleagues, as well as hear warning signals, approaching vehicles, and sounds in machines and processes.
- 3M Peltor Optime III Headband Format Earmuff H540A, Black and Red, SLC80 33dB Class 5 - The Peltor Optime Earmuff can reduce noise levels up to 33 dB, featuring double casing technology that minimises resonance effect. Large space inside the cups helps minimise heat and moisture build-up.
- 3M Peltor Optime III Neckband Format Earmuff H540B, Black and Red, SLC80 34dB Class 5 - The Neckband Format Earmuff H540B can reduce noise levels up to 34 dB with large space inside the cups that helps minimise heat and moisture build-up. Additionally, it offers soft, wide, cushions that help reduce pressure around the ears.
- 3M Peltor Optime II Helmet Attach Earmuff, H520P3GS/E, Green, SLC80 32dB Class 5 - The 3M Peltor Optime II Helmet Attach Earmuff is compatible with 3M 25 mm hardhats and visors. It offers large space inside the cups that helps minimising heat and moisture build-up, featuring soft, wide, cushions that help reduce pressure around the ears.
- 3M HRXS221A Peltor Worktunes Pro AM/FM Black Headband Earmuffs,Cl. 5, SLC80 26dB - The 3M HRXS221A Peltor Worktunes Pro AM/FM Black Headband Earmuffs are able to protect your hearing and listen to AM/FM radio at the same time with a built-in antenna. It features a digital station search and voice-guided menu system with announced frequencies.